3rd Annual Just Imagine® Childhood Cancer Walk
We have tried to think of every detail for our 3rd Annual Just Imagine® Childhood Cancer Walk with a family friendly focus on the big goal of raising money for local children battling cancer and childhood cancer research!
The childhood cancer walk will be on September 8th, 2018 at Bob Noble Park, 2915 Park Avenue in Paducah, KY at shelter 16, come rain or shine. All activities for the walk will begin at 8:00 AM. The cost to register for the walk is:
$20.00 for Adults (13 & Older)
$15.00 for children (12 & under)
To register for the childhood cancer walk, you can use online registration with a credit card, or print off a registration form, mail a check made payable to Book for Hope and send to the address listed. All you have to do is click on:
and boom you are in!
Positively Jessica Meyer is our guest again this year. If you didn’t get a chance to meet Jessica Meyer last year at the walk, don’t- worry because you will get a second chance!
Our event will consist of tons of things for you to participate in along with the walk. We have been blessed by so many people in the community and surrounding areas this year and will be able to offer you the following upon registration, free of charge:
- Atmos Energy will bring grills, employees, and all the supplies to grill hamburgers and hot dogs!
- Dippin’ Dots will be on site to give out cool treats!
- Majestic Sounds will be our fantastic DJ again this year and will be bringing a photo booth along with props!
- We will have cotton candy and snow cones.
- Special guests: Daniel Mathis and Kendall James.
- We are so excited to have Heather Carney doing face painting for us! Heather makes organic face paint. How cool is that?
- Get ready for corn hole games.
- Yoga with Robin Foster from the Living Arts! She will be providing yoga mats, so easy-peasy.
- Zumba with Tishaunda Fitness! What a great way to wake up!
- Baptist Health will be on site with a first-aid station.
- Water stations.
- The walk will be 2.5k as some kiddos have a hard time walking a long distance.
- Everyone that registers will get a free tee-shirt.
- A gold balloon release at the end of the walk, supporting the fighters, admiring the survivors, and honoring the taken!
Because of our sponsors support from our childhood cancer walk in 2017, we were able to pay for Kendall James to have a $6,000.00 shot that saved her life at a time when her white blood cell counts had completely bottomed out. We were able to give money to childhood cancer research, too.
We have designated 25% of our proceeds from this year’s walk to go to Jaiden Melander. Jaiden is nine-years-old and has been diagnosed with Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis on January 16th, 2018. Jaiden is currently going through chemotherapy at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN. Also, we will give 25% proceeds to five-year-old Ariel Burton as she was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and has been on chemotherapy since three-years-old. The remaining 50% will go to Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, designated to childhood cancer research.
Families of victims of childhood cancer are affected in ways we cannot fathom. Their world is turned upside down in a day as they try to grasp what is happening to their child. Then comes the worry and wondering how medical bills will be paid, and how day-to-day obligations and tasks will be done while they care for their child. In the midst of being heartbroken, they are bombarded with questions on how they want to proceed with medical treatment, knowing the decisions they make, along with the doctors, will have lasting consequences and/or victories for their child over this disease.
Please go to http://www.bookforhope.org/event/3rd-annual-just-imagine-childhood-cancer-walk/ and register for the childhood cancer walk. Get those tennis shoes laced up and come out in support of local families and childhood cancer research. By doing so, you will be joining in the fight against childhood cancer!
Written by Gaylon Hayden, President of Book for Hope®, Inc.