Book for Hope became a 501 (c) (3) childhood cancer organization in January 2015. The mission statement of Book for Hope is to raise funds for childhood cancer research and provide financial assistance for families with a child actively in cancer treatment.
Book for Hope targets families in Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois that have been and continue to suffer considerable costs associated with the diagnosis of childhood cancer.
The target families that Book for Hope supports often travel two to four hours one way to access treatment at a children’s hospital that can treat pediatric cancer, on a weekly and in some cases, a daily basis.
- The parent is unable to maintain employment and most often unable to draw any type of assistance to help with the loss of income.
- Out of pocket expenses for treatments, transportation, car repairs, gas, house payment/rent, utility bills, and food are some of the financial challenges faced by families that are already crushed under the emotional turmoil of caring for a child with cancer.
- The color for childhood cancer awareness is gold. You might say we are looking for a golden cure because we give to childhood cancer research. Children only receive 4% funding for childhood cancer research, while adults receive 96% funding for cancer research. Childhood cancer is the number-one leading cause of disease-related death of children in our country. There have only been four approved treatments specifically for children with cancer in the last thirty-five years. Children/adolescents endure treatments that were developed as back as the sixties!
Book for Hope has several events listed for 2019. We hope you will join in the fight against childhood cancer by attending our events listed below:
- Dinner, Dance, & Silent Auction Fundraiser at Rolling Hills Country Club in Paducah, KY on May 3, 2019.
- Paducah Tilghman will partner with Book for Hope to host a Just Imagine® 5K Run on May 18, 2019, at Noble Park in Paducah, Kentucky.
- 4th Annual Just Imagine® Childhood Cancer Walk in Noble Park on September 7, 2019.
- Fall AQS QuiltWeek September 11 through September 14, 2019, in downtown Paducah, KY.
- PUTTIN’ ON THE RITZ in the ballroom at the Paducah, KY Ritz.
Please follow us on www.bookforhope.org to keep up with our events, exciting new plans we have for this year, and to get involved by becoming a monthly sponsor, one-time donor, hosting an event for Book for Hope, or volunteering opportunities. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram at Book for Hope, too!